Monday, May 2, 2016

Who Is Nomadic Mama of 3, Really?

Who Is Nomadic Mama of 3, Really?

Since my last post I've had some time to reflect on my life, my goals, and my future. In addition to these quiet moments to think, I’ve also had three interviews in the last month and if you’ve ever been interviewed before you know that it really forces you to self-reflect. These last three interviews have certainly forced me to reflect. The question that was asked in all three interviews in some variation or another was who is Nomadic Mama of 3 and why is it important that she exists. You would think that by the third time I was asked this question I would have had a clear and concise answer but I didn't. Being asked even the third time forced me to sit and reflect and consider who is Nomadic Mama of 3 and why is she so important to me. This is what I came up with...

So who is Nomadic Mama of 3?
Nomadic Mama of 3 is a traveler. A nomadic personality born out of a series of recent tragic events in my life. I won't go into detail right here because I mention it a little later in this post but I will say that because of these tragic events I have been forced to sit down and prioritize what is important to me and sort out my own personal goals and dreams from all the people, things, and background noise in my life that pull me in different directions. In the end I realize travel is important to me. It makes up a huge part of who I am and the goals I want to achieve. It offers me the freedom I seek, the adventure I crave, and the education I desire to provide to my children. To me, travel is everything!

Nomadic Mama of 3 is also a writer. A teller of stories and a creator of worlds who has always been. I’ve loved writing since I was a small child. I didn’t pursue it because, well, you know how you’re supposed to go to the “good” school, get the “good” career, marry the “good” person, start the “great” family, drive the “good” car, etc? Yeah, well like many of us I fell into that trap. I did what I thought I was supposed to do as opposed to what I dreamed of. 

None of it worked out in the end. I did have the wonderful kids and there’s no buts there. They are spectacular and my motivation to get up every single day and be the best me that I can be. But I did marry the “great" guy and now we are divorced. I did go to the best school but now I'm faced with student loan debt and a career I don't want anymore. I did achieve the “great” career but it’s not what I want to do with my life. On top of that, my mother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's/dementia the same month my then-husband and I separated. The disease progressed very quickly and she passed away a couple of weeks ago from that terrible, horrible disease. Watching her deteriorate was one of the hardest things I've done yet. I am also a victim of rape (last August) and recently a victim of a home intrusion. So needless to say life has had its brutal moments. But don’t despair or feel sorry for me. I’ve had to live this life so that I can be where I am today, which is happy (although still grieving) and fully pursuing my dreams of writing and traveling.

Believe it or not, once I wiped all the tears from my eyes and could see clearly again I was able to fully realize what my dreams and goals really are. Then something amazing happened that has afforded me the opportunity to actually realize these dreams. I’m able to bring both my passion for writing and for travel together in this fun, unique, and exciting way while at the same time building something of my own.

This new journey is excitingly terrifying because it is pushing, no throwing me out of my box. And now that I’m on the outside of my comfort zone things don't look as scary as I thought. Things actually look fresh, new, and the sky really does appear to be the limit.

So what is this new venture, you ask?
After pushing my fears aside and deciding to forge ahead with my own goals I just started my own company. I love to write. Writing is everything to me. It is peace, solace, therapy, creativity, and beauty all rolled up and fit snuggly in the top of my pen. I love writing so much that I actually wrote a novel. It’s a crime thriller (I’m a forensic professional by day so I just wrote what I know). The process was grueling but to see my creation, my story in the real world is simply amazing (the story is currently with readers and the editors and will be published by the end of the year). I want to help others feel that same joy of creating a piece of work and seeing if come to life from start to finish and that is the reason I started my own publishing company, JANCO Publishing (www.jancopublishing.com). On top of that travel is everything to me also and ranks right up there with writing. In an attempt to bring both of these passions together and share my love of travel with the world, I established my very first travel magazine, GO Places magazine (www.goplacesmag.com). The inaugural issue will be published this summer. I am also helping my children publish their very own kids travel magazine, GO Places Junior. Their magazine will also be available this summer.

Why is it so important to be Nomadic Mama of 3?
Above everything that I mentioned previously my most important role in life is being called mommy. I am the worldschooling mom to three fantastic Jr Nomads. A 13 yr old son, a 10 yr old daughter, and a 6yr old son. My kids are my travel companions. It's because of them, because of my desire to show them the world that travel plays such a huge role in our lives. Being a nomadic mama is my way of preparing my kids to be global citizens. If nothing else I want them to have an understanding of how we live in a global economy and are all interconnected. I want them to know that they can seek to help not just their town or state, not just their country but the entire world. My oldest son, who wants to be an engineer and own a research and development firm, wants to have an office in both the US and England. And my daughter wants to set up her veterinary clinics in the US, Iceland, and England (these are places we’ve visited and I’m sure their list will grow as we travel more). So already they are understanding at an early age the impact they can have on the world. If I had known that the world was an option for me when I was their age I bet I would have been dynamic. I’m showing them just how dynamic they are and can be right now. So being Nomadic Mama of 3 is not just crucial for my own peace, goals, and sense of freedom. It is crucial for my children to grow up and be productive, globally aware, culturally sensitive citizens of this earth. 

If as Nomadic Mama of 3 I can help just one other person realize their dreams and achieve their goals I will be satisfied. If I can help just one other single parent know that travel is real and possible and achievable then it's all been worth it. If through my story someone gains something positive then putting it all out there has been worth it. If I can motivate someone else to go get their passport and book that first trip then again, it has all been worth it.

So there you have it... Nomadic Mama of 3!

Wow! If you’ve read this far I sincerely thank you. This post was a lot but one that I needed to write for you but also for myself (and my future self so I can look back when days are dreary and things are tough as to why I’m doing what I’m doing and pursuing what I am).

So until I see you on the road or somewhere around the globe… peace, love, and follow your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment